Sunday, July 29, 2012

Downy Woodpecker Drilling at my Window Ledge

A rat-tat-tat-tat from the window caught my attention. I looked up to see a Downy Woodpecker on the windowsill, his beak busy drilling at the ledge.

By the time I got outside to take his picture, he'd flown from the house to the crab apple, and then to the tree by the road.  (He = male = yes. You can tell by the red spot at the back of his head.) 

The Downy Woodpecker who was at
my home office window. © SB

Several weeks ago, I saw a female Downy Woodpecker, and had a slightly better chance to capture her feathers and markings.

Female Downy Woodpecker - no red spot.  ©  SB

What are these birds? Downy Woodpeckers
Location: Male: Front yard, Regina, Saskatchewan. Female: Wascana Park, Regina, Saskatchewan. 
Photo dates:  Male: July 26, 2012. Female: May 25, 2012. 

~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...